Is a mark in left corner of the toe a cause for concern?

Dr. T Shobha Deepak

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I saw my primary last week. he said the mark in the lower left corner of my big toe was nothing to be concerned about. The lines extending upwards and downwards have me concerned about melanoma. The mark appeared out of no where going on 3 weeks now and it hasn't changed. Should I be concerned? if so, should I see a Podiatrist, Dermatologist, what/who?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be subungual hematoma

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Ms

Thanks for providing clinical photograph . It is more likely to be subungual hematoma ( bleeding beneath the nail bed) . As the hematoma takes 3- 4 weeks to resolve there is no cause for concern. It appears to be gradually fading . If the lesion increases or does not appear to fade further even after 1-2 weeks , than would suggest you to consult dermatologist for further assessment.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Wishing you and your family a very happy and healthy life

Take Care

Best Regards
Dr Shobha Deepak
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj