• question-icon

Suggest treatment for fibromyalgia

Posted on Mon, 20 Feb 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: do you think there ever will be a cure for fibromyalgia? I've been diagnosed by 7-10 doctors and nothing helps
it's getting worse and I am a outgoing person, I still do my yard work, mow over 4 acres at my place in country that was my parents', we farm and I help a lot there. So I am not a couch potato but there are times when I just have to lay down and try to stretch the muscles straight, I usually am in a fetal position trying to get in as tight a ball as I can. I'm on 800mg 3x a day of neurotin, 5mg of valium only as needed for leg cramps, tramadol as needed,which it seems its more times that I need it now, beginning to feel that I am going to have to go to something stronger to make it some times. any ideas? thank you

I know I am 63 but very active one, besides the fibromyalgia I only have one other problem, I have one kidney, the left one had to be removed bc of a birth defect, the uretha from left kidney to bladder was never opened which caused lots of infections and so we did 2 surgeries trying to save it but it just couldn't work it was causing more problems so the left one was removed. I still have kidney stones on occasion but not like before. forgot to say this before.
thank you XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A cure for fibromyalgia seems unlikely right now.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Unfortunately, until now, there is no definitive cure for fibromyalgia, research continues mainly in new treatment possibilities.

Current treatment possibilities aim to improve symptoms such pain, sleep, fatigue etc.

If the current treatment isn't working, in my opinion, new treatment ways by using drugs such duloxetine, milnacipran, should be considered.

Alternative medicine with activities such yoga, tai chi, acupuncture are also used to improve symptoms of fibromyalgia with good results.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical