Suggest treatment for fibrocystic breast disease

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hi there, I've visited my doctor and have a referral to a breast clinic but I didn't manage much discussion due to a bit of a language barrier so instead getting another appointment wondering if you could help while I await the breast clinic appointment pls. For the last 3 months I have been getting very swollen painful breasts. Way worse than occasional pre period symptoms. Starting around mid-cycle and not easing until few days after period ends. Really struggling to do normal activities. Sleeping and exercising being the most effected. My breasts feel hot and quite lumpy during this time. I do have a hard small lump in my left breast which has been confirmed as fibrous tissues likely as a result of ivf treatment /hormones a few years ago. The left breast does feel slightly worse than the right. I'm 38 and have been having some high levels of stress and anxiety generally. Periods are regular and normal. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As discussed in details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.
Noted all the history well and understood your concerns.
This looks to be fibrocystic disease of the breasts which is governed to a large extent by the Hormonal changes that practically occur in repose to so many factors - previous treatment for IVF, stress, anxiety, changing age-related factors and so on.
Since these are recurrent, that means not permanent again, goes in favor of benign cause.
So as per the history this does not look to be serious and can be confirmed by:
Clinical evaluation and an actual examination.
Ultrasound of the breasts, armpits and neck.
Mammography
MRI if the Radiology-center near you has the facility - nothing to insist for.
FNAC/Biopsy if required.

Once all these tests are done and found negative for cancer, your stress level will further reduce and help indirectly for symptomatic relief.
You can take additional multivitamins as they act as anti-oxidants.
Use breast support by elevating in an appropriate bra.
Low salt as it helps by reducing edema.
I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.