Suggest treatment for extreme fatigue, weakness and ESR of 37mm

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: ana w/ eia: positive, CRP 36.8mg/l, ana titer 1:40, ESR 37mm, age 19, joint/muscle pain/weakness, extreme fatique, low vitamin a and d, bile reflux and gastroparesis, I have a history of pancreatitis, everything I've ever dealt with has been with inflammation? can somebody explain the test results and what they mean?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Test results are indicative of autoimmune disorder

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the query at HealthcareMagic.

The test results are indicative of autoimmune disorder. But further investigations are required to pinpoint the exact condition.

ANA (Antinuclear antibodies) are elevated in several auto immune disorders like SLE, Rheumatoid arthritis, sjogrens syndrome, scleroderma, autoimmune pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease etc.

Most of these also present with joint and muscle pain,fatigue,weight loss. Positive ANA along with these symptoms is highly suggestive of autoimmunity.

ESR (Erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP (C reactive protein) are elevated in infections and inflammation ,also seen in autoimmune disorders.

Vitamin A and D deficiencies are also associated with autoimmune disorders.

At this point it is difficult to give you a definite answer on which autoimmune disorder is causing your symptoms. I'd recommend that you follow up with your doctor with these results for further evaluation and management accordingly.

Hope I was able to answer your question
Please feel free to address any more concerns
Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
it did say that the ana titer indicated a speckled pattern. Is that more indicative as of what autoimmune diseases I could be expirencing. I'll be seen by a rheumatologist on the 23rd so already got the ball rolling there. I was just wondering what all these test results really meant cause I was confused.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Speckle ANA pattern more indicative of certain auto immune disorders

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for following up and addressing your question here.

The pattern of ANA have overlap between various autoimmune disorders.
But speckled pattern is more commonly associated with SLE(systemic lupus erythematosis) ,Sjogrens syndrome,scleroderma. polymyositis and mixed connective tissue disorder. The speckled pattern alone is not diagnostic of these disorders but rather a indicator of them.
I recommend that you consult Rheumatologist as scheduled for further management.

Hope I was able to answer your question.
If you do not have further clarifications,rate and close the discussion
wish you good health
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D