Suggest treatment for excessive bloating after appendectomy

Posted on Wed, 14 Jan 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: i have apendectomy surgery 4 days ago and no passing of gas yet. my belly becomes too big. is this normail. what should i do to help me to pas gas
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It not normal

Detailed Answer:

4 days after appendectomy your intestine should have been working OK. If you haven't passed gas and your belly is getting bigger then you probably have paralytic ileus. Paralytic ileus means that your intestine is not moving or digesting food as a reaction to surgical trauma and inflammation. This condition is more common when the appendix gets ruptured before surgery.

Unless something has gone wrong with the surgery itself, which is less likely, paralytic ileus will get better by itself. If you're vomiting, you shouldn't eat and a tube has to be placed in your stomach.
Your surgeon will decide any of the above after examining you.

I hope I've helped!
If you'd like more information, please let me know.

Kind Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 48 minutes later
how many days is safe not to pass gas after the surgery? should i expect another operation?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
I can't give an exact number

Detailed Answer:

an exact number cannot be given but it's common practice to observe patients for 4-7 days with antibiotic treatment when they had a complicated appendicitis, that is an appendicitis that ruptured and spread pus and fecal material into the peritoneal cavity. This condition hurts the intestine the most and may slow down recovery and normal intestinal function, not to mention increased risk for surgical complications.
The common practice among surgeons is to observe the situation unless an obvious surgically correctable cause is detected or life-threatening conditions ensue.

Appendectomy is a very common operation for surgeons, so we have to assume that every surgeon is capable of managing it adequately.

Normally - if everything goes OK - patients can be fed on the same day or at least the next day starting with very light watery meals. The intestine normally should be back to work equally fast.

I wish you a complete and fast recovery!
If you'd like to ask more, please contact me again.

Kind Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis