question-icon

Suggest treatment for electric pulsation sensation near the shoulder blade

Posted on Mon, 28 Nov 2016
Question: Feeling of a slight electrical impulse starting in my back near right shoulder blade and coming up over my shoulder. No pain, but recurring and with increased feeling. At end it feels like a hand on my shoulder. Not associated with any particular arm movement. (PS Am very active. Play tennis and golf and lots of gym exercises.) Started about the time I began taking Simvastatin.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel (19 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
the electric impulse like pain is fibromyalgia in my opinion.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX , I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic surgeon. You have pain in your (R) shoulder blade which comes up to your shoulder . In my opinion this pain is fibromyalgia starting with a triggering point in between your shoulder blade. I suggest that you take pain killers , muscle relaxants , and pregabalin. I hope this answers your question , however i will be ready to answer any further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Gopal Goel (1 hour later)
It is not a pain. It is a slightly tickling feeling to start, that feels like some little thing is running up my back. It then becomes a bit more intense,speaks out, and feels like a slightly vibrating electrical impulse that comes up and over my shoulder. It happens unevenly, but probably four or five times an hour. I have no restriction in my arm usage. Nor is any particular movement of the arm identified with it.

But it is not a pain. It is somewhat disconcerting, and now seems a bit stronger somehow than a few weeks ago when it started.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel (11 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Hi fibromyalgia

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX The way you are describing , it is not a pain but vibrating electric impulse , is again a feature of fibromyalgia. In cervical spondylosis or neuropathic ds , there is definite relation to movements in the neck or shoulder. I still suggest that you take treatment and revert back in casethe sensation does not improve. All the best and hope to see you getting well soon.
Dr Gopal Goel
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon