Suggest treatment for dry mouth, sweating and breathing difficulty

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Mental Health
Question: Hello All,

I'm so tiered and depressed by this problem, I feel my body very light weight and very dry mouth. Sometimes while driving specially I feel fainting and can not breath for couple seconds then start sweating. I had have some Antidepressant medicines "Alprazolame, Cymbalta up to 60mg for a year and have then I stopped that for 6 months then I started to have this problem. In reality I do not have any psychological problems or depression during the stopping time but I had to take Anafranil 10 mg now to solve this problem. It helped little bit with the the light weight feeling but not the dry moth or breathing problems especially while driving. I had to increased the dose 10 mg every month because the light weight feeling is coming back in the end of each month, so I reach to 50 mg today of Anafranil. What is my problem. How do I fix it without taking Antidepressant medicine anymore? Is there a solution? so sick of this problem and I do not want to take these medicine anymore. For how long do I have to use this medicine? Is there any diagnosis?
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try paroxetine

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

I think, you have generalized anxiety disorder. Dry mouth, sweating, breathing difficulty or fainting episode etc are symptoms of anxiety. In that case, you need continuous treatment with few antidepressant like paroxetine or escitalopram. Cymbalta contains duloxetine and it is good for somatic symptoms rather than anxiety. Better to take paroxetine as an antidepressant. You can also try some benzodiazepine like clonazepam etc. It would help to control anxiety symptoms.

There is no need to take Anafranil (clomipramine). It is tricyclic antidepressant and lead to certain side effects like dry mouth, constipation, sedation etc. In your case, dry mouth could be due to it. Better to avoid it. You can also try some relaxation exercise like JPMR or deep breathing. These would help to control anxiety symptoms. Rest, you can consult with your physician or psychiatrist.

In case, you need further help, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist
Follow up: Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 15 minutes later
For how long do I have to use this medicine because I'm really anxious of the side effects of theses drugs. I had no problem before start using these drugs. It was just very mild depression due to high stress during study time.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have to take it for months

Detailed Answer:
Hi

That depends upon improvement. If you remain better with medications for 6 to 9 months, then you can stop them after psychiatrist consultation. This drug (paroxetine) does not have much side effects. This is the one of the best antidepressant. You would not get that kind of side effects you got from Anafranil. Just relax and take this drug without any tension.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist
Follow up: Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 6 minutes later
Last two questions:

Should I stop Anafranil now I take 50 mg, and start with paroxetine at what dose? how many times a day?

I have to travel to UK to study but I don't like airplanes and I have canceled my plane several times because I'm afraid? is there anything can help with that?
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take benzodiazepine before flight

Detailed Answer:
Hi

In your case, there is no use of Anafranil. You can stop it gradually. Better to start paroxetine 12.5mg once a day. It would take two weeks to show response. Mean time, you would be off Anafranil. After two weeks, you can increase the dose accordingly.

If you have specific phobia, along with medications, you can try psychotherapy like exposure therapy. Two ways you can do it. One way, you can image your are in plane and it would help to control psychological anxiety. Second way, you can get real exposure of a airport. That would gradually help to control it. You can also take benzodiazepine like clonazepam before going to airport. That would help to control such symptoms.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist
Follow up: Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 1 hour later
I read many bad stories about sever withdrawal effects of Paxil? Is there any other good choice?

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try escitalopram or sertraline

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Paxil is good antidepressant. Yes, it cause withdrawal in sudden stoppage of drug, but that could be possible with any antidepressant. If you take it with proper guidance, then you would not feel any problem. In case, you want to try another antidepressant, you can try escitalopram or sertraline. These drugs are equally effective and has less withdrawal symptoms.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist