Suggest treatment for dog bite

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
My niece was just bit by my dog. It punctured skin. Last rabies shot over 2 years ago. I'm 2 months behind in getting his rabies shot due to move. I'm a family nurse practitioner and was going to order antibiotics tomorrow. Do I need to be concerned about rabies?
Posted Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you need to give antirabies vaccine

Detailed Answer:

As it is a lacerated wound according to WHO categorization it is categorized into Cat III. Your niece should receive rabies vaccine despite vaccination 2 years ago. I would be pleased if you can provider her with rabies shots along with antibiotics. In fact she has to recieve

1. Active immunization with antirabies vaccine on days 0, 3, 7, 14 and 28.
2.Passive immunization with anti rabies serum should be administered around the wound.
3. A course of antibiotics is required.
4. Topical application of antibiotic cream.
5. Tetanus shot.

Thank you.