question-icon

Suggest treatment for diarrhea, listeria and yellowish fluid discharge from rectum

Posted on Fri, 15 May 2015
Question: I have had diarrhea for two days. It has now progressed to a yellowish liquid pouring out of rectum with no feeling of needing to eliminate. i jusr recently was given an injection of cortisone. I also

ate Blue Bell ice cream 3 weeks ago

The reason I mentioned the ice cream is that there was a recall due to listeria. My stools are not just loose they are yellow water/mucus
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (12 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Gastrosintestinal infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Te most probable reason of such stool problems is mild bacterial infection of gastrointestinal tract. It may be related to mentioned Ice Cram intake. Watery stools with mucus can be the only reason.
I suggest you to do not wait with it any longer. Please consult your doctor. Stool test and stool culture test should be done. In case of an infection, antibiotic should be given. If the blood will be found, colonoscopy is necessary.

In a meanwhile please start probiotic intake.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon