Suggest treatment for diarrhea in an infant

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello doctor -

My 6 month old son has been having frequent stools that is sticky for the past couple of days. we are currently giving neutrolin-b. However it has not changed and he has already gone stools 6 times today. wondering what else I can try - can you please let me know. how about coconut water?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry, Continue giving Nutrolin B

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

Stool consistency can be variable during 1st year of life.
I would like to know whether he is still breast fed or you have started the complementary feeds.
I won't get worried if baby is active, accepting feeds well, there is no abdominal fullness and vomiting or if stool is not too watery.
Stool pattern in this age depends on both the baby's and mother's feed. Change in pattern can be there is you have recently started some complementary/semicolons or also if there is any change in your diet.
Nutrolin B contains probiotic which helps in mantaining normal gut flora and multivitamin supplements. This helps in restoration of normal stool pattern. You may give zinc drop in addition as it also helps in improving stool consistency.
Observe for any change in baby's or your own diet.
No specific treatment is needed unless there is some significant problem like too frequent or watery stool, excessive irritability or poor feed.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for your response. We did start to give him Milk Bikis (mashed in boiled water) this week - however, I have stopped it from yesterday onwards. Also, since we have been cleaning him after every motion, he has developed a reddish rash. The baby is active though, but he cries when he is passing his stool. Also what's the name of the zinc drop?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Apply Rashfree/Ezinapi cream, Z&D can be given as zinc drop

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

I think this change in consistency of stool is due to introduction of new food item.
For perianal rash you may apply Rashfree or Ezinapi cream. While cleaning don't rub but tap the area gently and keep it in open air to let it dry.
Apply the cream thereafter.
For zinc give Z & D drop. The dose is 20mg(1ml) once a day. Give it for 15 days.

I shall be glad to help you out if you have any more query.
Thanks