Suggest medication for rashes near a newborn's anus

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Wed, 8 Nov 2017 in Child Health
Question: my baby girl is just one month old. and she is getting red colored rashes around her poop holes. Can you suggest me what to do?

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Apply zinc oxide based cream

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have seen the attached images. The most common cause of perianal rash in this age is diaper dermatitis. Other less common cause is transient lactose intolerance. Infetion is further less commoner cause.
To me it appears to be diaper dermatitis. There is no reducing substance in stool which is against the diagnosis of transient lactose intolerance. 4-6 pus cells in stool is also not a significant finding.
Applying Zinc oxide based creams like Rashfree helps in decreasing the inflammation and accelerates the healing of skin.Apply this cream at least 3-4 times a day. Keep the area dry and avoid rubbing while cleaning.
Just check if diaper absorption quality is good or not. The undersurface should not be wet after passing urine. Switching to a diaper of different brand with better absorptive capacity helps in such cases.
I hope with these measures the redness will subside.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T