Suggest treatment for diarrhea, fatigue, abdominal pain in an elderly person

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Elderly Problems
Question: Age85,femail......constant nausea ,pain in stomach Diarrhea and tired. wants to just lay on the sofa. Was always on the go before. YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be acute attack of gastroenteritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, you immediately need to see a medical facility as continuous diarrhea is not only causing fluids and electrolytes loss but if has almost drained your energies probably. And you need intravenous fluids resuscitation and electrolytes and water replacements. If it persisted like this, it will make the matters even worst.

Meanwhile start using, oral rehydration salts with one XXXXXXX to be dissolved in one litre of water and should be taken as much as possible. You may also need a course of antibiotics like ciprofloxacin and metronidazole alongwith drotaverine for pains and spasms and some anti emetics for nausea and vomitings.

Take soft diets and avoid heavy greasy, oily and high protien diets. Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D