Suggest treatment for cough, cold and chest congestion

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I am a woman 72 years old on diabetic medication. For the last few days, my cough is indicative of chest congestion. I also have a cold, not very severe though. I have been taking XXXXXXX sugar free cough syrup.
Some relief but cough & cold still persists. No fever. Shall I take an antibiotic, say Augmentin 500 or Ceftum 250 or 500 with Mucolite SR and Deriphyllium?
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, along with it steam inhalation will be helpful

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. In patients with diabetes, any signs of chest congestion is serious issue and should be treated with earnest.
2. Antibiotics is necessary, as it is present for more than a few days. Viral respiratory infection could have been complicated with bacterial infection, hence antibiotics, particularly Augmentin 500, will be helpful.
3. Mucolite SR to lyse mucus and increased sputum production will be helpful. Also steam inhalation is very important twice daily to further thin the sputum and so you can cough it out. Antihistamines like cetrizine to reduce secretions along with decongestants will be helpful.
4. Deriphyllium will reduce any respiratory difficulty with bronchodilatation.

Do complete the course of all of them for 5 days. You will require prescription from your doctor. Hope your blood sugar is within normal range. Protein rich diet to help immunity along with good hydration is essential during this period.

Get well soon.
Hope it helps.
Any further queries, here to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist