Suggest treatment for corneal abrasion following a injury with stick

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I had a stick scratch my eye around the cornia looks like part of the smooth film has XXXXXXX scratched off . I went to cvs purchased sterile eye wash . The pain at times is almost unbearable. my eye is red but no bleading. I have been keeping my eye closed and when I open it feals like my eyelid is rubbing the scratch to the point my eye floods with tears and that is also very painful. My vision is fine with acception to the tears . What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It seems like corneal abrasion.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
welcome to Health care magic

I am Dr. DADAPEER K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history that you are having corneal abrasion following a injury with stick.
Corneal abrasion is very painful condition and it causes symptoms of pain in the eyes. watering and redness of eyes.
Corneal abrasion usually takes 2-4 days to heal completely depending on the size of the abrasion.
We usually treat corneal abrasion by use of antibiotic eye drops and artificial tears eye drops to prevent secondary infection and help in quick healing of the corneal abrasion. You can use analgesic drugs for pain relief.
I prefer to use antibiotic eye drops like moxifloxacin eye drops and artificial tears eye drops 6-8 times per day.

Since the corneal abrasion can go for complications like corneal ulcer following secondary infection, the treatment has to be given correctly.
Hence I advice you to consult your doctor for confirmation of diagnosis and prescription of drugs.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

THANK YOU
WITH REGARDS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari