Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for corneal abrasion following a injury with stick

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 5709 Questions
I had a stick scratch my eye around the cornia looks like part of the smooth film has XXXXXXX scratched off . I went to cvs purchased sterile eye wash . The pain at times is almost unbearable. my eye is red but no bleading. I have been keeping my eye closed and when I open it feals like my eyelid is rubbing the scratch to the point my eye floods with tears and that is also very painful. My vision is fine with acception to the tears . What should I do?
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It seems like corneal abrasion.

Detailed Answer:
welcome to Health care magic

I am Dr. DADAPEER K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history that you are having corneal abrasion following a injury with stick.
Corneal abrasion is very painful condition and it causes symptoms of pain in the eyes. watering and redness of eyes.
Corneal abrasion usually takes 2-4 days to heal completely depending on the size of the abrasion.
We usually treat corneal abrasion by use of antibiotic eye drops and artificial tears eye drops to prevent secondary infection and help in quick healing of the corneal abrasion. You can use analgesic drugs for pain relief.
I prefer to use antibiotic eye drops like moxifloxacin eye drops and artificial tears eye drops 6-8 times per day.

Since the corneal abrasion can go for complications like corneal ulcer following secondary infection, the treatment has to be given correctly.
Hence I advice you to consult your doctor for confirmation of diagnosis and prescription of drugs.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor