• question-icon

Suggest treatment for constipation

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: how many days can you go without a bowel movement until it becomes a problem critical.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Atleast one bowel moment a week.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I am a Gastroenterologist and would be answering your query.
As per your query answers are-
Text book defines constipation as having less than three bowel movements per week and in extreme cases as one bowel movement per week or less.
However it depends on person to person as well as thwe amount of food a person is taking.
In general you should have minimum one bowel moment every week.Cases of acute constipation are more worrisome and might indicate a significant underlying problem.underlying medical condition such as bowel obstruction.
Though not asked yet few suggestions are-
Stop Bisacodly its an old laxative instead use lactulose 15-30 ml every day before going to bed.
Even if not helped by Lactulose start taking Miralax(Polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution as and when required).

Other general suggestions are-

-Linseed: is extremely useful in difficult cases of constipation. One teaspoon of linseed with warm water should be taken at night for bulk and lubrication.
-Proper chewing: The diet alone is not enough. Food should be properly chewed-each morsel for at least 20 times.
-Taking a short walk is a good way to get some light exercise. Walking time should be gradually increased until it reaches 20 minutes.
-You should drink at least eight glasses of water daily. Water helps push the food through the intestines and also helps lubricate intestinal tissues. When the body is dehydrated, the intestines absorb the fluids from the food waste, which in turn leads to hardened stools
- Avoiding alcohol and caffeine is also important as these substances contribute to dehydration.
-Use fish oil and castor oil-Fish oil is believed to encourage healthy digestion and castor oil produces a laxative effect when ingested
-Fruits and vegetables, which contain high amounts of fiber, aid in alleviating symptoms of constipation,Whole-grain bread, XXXXXXX oatmeal, beans and lentils can also relieve the problem so use it Instead of highly processed rice, eat brown rice, millet or bulgur.
-Eat 2 cups of fruit 3 cups of vegetables and about 35 grams of fiber per day
fruits: Generally all fruits, except banana and XXXXXXX fruit, are beneficial in the treatment of constipation.
Pears are beneficial in the treatment of constipation.
Guava fruit when eaten with seeds, gives roughage to the diet and helps in the normal evacuation of the bowels.
Grapes: have also proved highly beneficial in overcoming constipation. The grapes have the cellulose; natural sugar and organic acid make them a natural laxative fruit. Not only they clean the bowel, but also tones up the stomach and intestines to relieve the chronic constipation.
-While sitting on the toilet, support the feet on a small stool in order to achieve a normal position that aids in bowel movement.

Hope i was helful.
Thanks you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist