Suggest treatment for constipation after surgery

Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Question: Hi
I have had vaginal cancer treated in 2012
End result was surgery after brachey therapy, radiation and chemo
Surgery was due to necrotic tissue in the bowel and vagina needing a v XXXXXXX flap down into the vagina from the core of the stomach, and a colestomy bag
2 years on things were going ok, with the exception of fatigue, not being as strong as I was not being able to do normal daily activities.
In the last 10 days I have developed a burning pain in my stomach, every time I cough pain shoots all directions around my stomach, there is a hunia present around the stoma which has already had one mesh repair job October last year, there is only liquid coming through the stoma, I don't feel like eating anything and have had vomiting 4 times of green awful stuff
Have been told by ED it is constipation but 10 days on how long can this go on before it is deemed as more than constipation?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
need to rule out obstruction

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

Vomiting green stuff, with pain abdomen and passing only liquids from the stoma are all probable sign of impending obstruction.

I would suggest that you take enema to clear the constipation and relieve your symptoms. If repeated enemas fail, it is advisable to get a barium enema study to look for the site of obstruction for its further management. I do not recommend you to wait with this problem.

Hope I have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad