Suggest treatment for constant dry mouth
no change in taste in my mouth.
Cutting the Effexor back to 150 milligrams / see if it makes a difference.
Currently using Sea salt rinse that has xylitol, potassium sorbate , menthol, lysozyme. Works for 5 minutes...then get a sweet taste back. Been tested for diabetes.
Had blood work done, MRI done, everything comes up normal.
am 59 years old, get my teeth cleaned 4 times a year. Have receding in my gums , my teeth & gums are healthy. This is very frustrating.
Effexor could be one of the causes of dryness of the mouth...
Thanks for posting the query
I have gone through the query thoroughly and understood your problem, I will try my best to help you with this problem.
Dryness of the mouth could be due to various causes; to name a few:
1. Physiologic age-related changes in salivary gland tissues.
2. Medicines such as antidepressants (venlafaxine), cardiac medicines, etc.
3. Women who have had their menopause.
4. Recurrent nasal block, causing mouth breathing.
5. Other conditions such as anemia, Sjögren's Syndrome,etc.
After understanding your problem, I do feel your symptoms could be related to the drug Effexor you are taking for depression.
Also, you would require a thorough examination by a good physician to rule out the other causes such as early parkinsonism, sjogren's syndrome and hormonal imbalance in the body.
You can try the below mentioned home remedies for symptomatic relief.
1. Drink frequents sips of normal or XXXXXXX warm water.
2. Avoid chilled food and beverages, coffee, fizzy drinks, sweets and deep fried food
3. Avoid mouth washes and lozenges. Mouth washes containing rock salt, is hypertonic in nature and removes all the water from the oral mucosa, leaving it dry and sore.
Hope this answers your query; revert back to me if you have any follow-up queries.
Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment and cure for dry mouth syndrome
- Dried mouth and always thirsty peeing constantly
- Constantly thirsty dry mouth tired and stomach hurts
- Constant dry mouth and thirst
- Treatment for dry mouth and white painful bumps on throat
- Treatment and cure for chronic dry mouth
- Treatment and cure for ataxia dry mouth
- Suggest ayurvedic treatment for swollen uvula and dry mouth
- Treatment and cure for Dry mouth
- Is aquoral used in the treatment of dry mouth ?
- Small multi-nodular goiters,elevated T3 in thyroid profile,TSH and T4...
- Blocked ears, dizziness, BP 120/66, tooth removal done recently, fever
- Fell and injured jaw, stiff neck, swollen lymph node, fever, neck pain
- What should I do if I have heartburn, tenderness at the base of my throat?
- How to treat watery eyes ?
- How to treat allergic rashes due to medications ?
- Hard,tender lump on side of face,lump rolls,eyelid swollen after tick...
- Throat tightens,unable to sleep,generic of nexium,generic for...
- What is the reason for tightness in throat and fatigue?
- Chinese herbal creams, eczema ointment, base cream from company,...