Suggest treatment for chills, rashes and black stools

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 2 Nov 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hi: for the last 4day my morning bowel movement is real BIACK i have no diarrhea and no tummy ache but i did have a low grade, chills and a rash on my up arm where i got a presnar 13 shot. also i got 2 cortizone shots in each shoulder.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Are the stools more offensive than usual?

Detailed Answer:
HI,

Black stools with a bad odor may be suggestive of a possible bleeding in the stomach. Most often, it is accompanied with abdominal pain which you seem not to have.

If this is not related to bleeding, then possible diet related. In which case, monitor only and let’s see how it gets in the days ahead. If it persists, we may need a rapid stool exam to understand more about the color change.

To me, if nothing else comes up, patently wait and follow through with the CT scan later this month than making an urgent appointment that might not be very necessary seen the information you have provided at this time.

Thanks and let me know what your take is on this as a plan.

Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
i didn't detect and odor, but before it started i did have a slight diarrhea (not black) on 9/27/16 that day, but it stopped after i take a alka-seltzer. and no diarrhea to date 10/8/16. i just have real black stool.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Monitor only then!

Detailed Answer:

I will say monitor the stools only as this doesn’t seem to represent bleeding from the stomach which was my main concern.

Keep me posted and updated on this.