Suggest treatment for chemical burn in stomach

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Wed, 12 Nov 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi i burned my stomach with what i am told was a gun power explosion. the area is about 5 inches in diameter. there is very little if any pain but appears to be a second degree chemical burn. there is a slightly yellow but mostly clear fluid oozing out of it. i have been cleaning it frequently and putting neosporin on it but it doesnt seem to be getting any better or worse. what do you think?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It will take time.

Detailed Answer:

It will take time to heal.Such burns take 4-6 weeks or even more to heal.As the skin has been lost, unlike other wounds epithelisation does not begin immediately.More of such wounds heal with fibrosis and not by epithelization, so it takes time.

Keeping wound clean, using antiseptic creams, preventing infection and preventing contractures of skin is the only treatment.To prevent contractures , after burn dries up start the movement of surrounding skin.

Since wound is oozing, try covering with dry bandage or burn bandages available at pharmacy.

Hope this helps.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.