question-icon

Suggest treatment for blood in stool

Posted on Mon, 1 Jun 2015
Question: 92 yr old mother started excreting blood --- rather large amount, 3 times today, no advance warning on two

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha (38 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Hemorrhoids

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Excreting large amounts of blood, and that too fresh blood is usually because of hemorrhoids. It is an emergency and it cannot be treated at home.
I recommend immediate attention, please take her to the Emergency room as soon as possible.
She will require banding of the hemorrhoids. I give my patients Inj Vit K and Inj Tranexamic acid immediately to stop the bleeding. Stop all blood thinners like aspirin and clopidogrel ( if she is on them).

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist