• question-icon

Suggest treatment for blood in stool while having lactose intolerance

Posted on Sat, 9 Jan 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I was not lactose intolerent before once i had my gallblader removed i became lactose intolerant. Now a days if i eat lacotse i bleed when i poop is not much but i do sometimes its almost about 1/4 of a cup. It does not hurt nor do i have discomfort anywhere but i need answers please. And this only happens when i eat lactose i think.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need more info

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Kindly answer the following to advise accordingly

Is the blood in stool fresh/bright red or is it dark/black
How do you came to know that you were lactose intolerant.
Upon stopping dairy products containing lactose do the symptoms completely subside.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 minute later
Its bright red and yes i am pretty sure that if i dont eat lactose it does not happen. The reason i think i became lactose intolerant is because if i eat lactose it goes right trun me
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Lactose intolerance is a common condition due to high prevalence of lactase deficiency. The diarrhea associated with Lactose intolerance has additionally, gas and bloating symptoms. However, it doesn't have any blood if its lactose intolerance, indeed.

The blood in stool needs to be worked up for other causes. It can be an allergic response to a specific dairy product leading to erosion and inflammation with subsequent bleeding.
Hemorrhoids, Inflammatory bowel disease, gastroenteritis and parasitic infestation are the likely culprits of lower GI bleed in a young individual. In addition to local inspection and examination , Stool routine exam plus for ova and parasite, DRE ( Digital Rectal exam ) can be done in consult with your doctor. Empiric treatment would be advised based on the clinical findings and investigation evidence. A Proctoscopy / colonoscopy can be planned in consult with a gastroenterologist if the cause of the bleeding is still not clear and does not subside with treatment.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil