• question-icon

Suggest medical tests to rule lactose intolerant

Posted on Tue, 3 May 2016 in General Health
Question: How to test to see if I am lactose intolerant? I am suffering from stomach discomfort - burning and pokey in all areas around the belly button. I do not consume milk, but was taking milk shake with fruits in it twice a day. My meal plan is - buttermilk rice and vegetables - both lunch and dinner.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lactose intolerance

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

Breath hydrogen test can be done as a first choice for diagnosis purpose. lactose is given after an overnight fast then expired air samples are taken before and at 30-minute intervals for 3 hours to look for hydrogen gas concentrations.
Breath hydrogen concentration rise greater than 20 parts per million over the baseline would suggest lactase deficiency.
Dietary elimination leading to resolution of symptoms and reappearence of symptoms with reintroduction of lactose containing food is clinically suggestive of lactose intolerance.
Small bowel biopsy provides definitive diagnosis and information thouhh this invasive procedure is not usually necessary to perform.

hope this helps

Let me know if you have any query

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Dr M.S Khalil.

Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Thanks Doctor.
Had another question.
I was asked to take breathe test to check if I had H.Pylori. It came back positive and my physician has put me a 2 weeks antibiotic regime. I took the breathe test w/o fasting. It was taken sometime in the evening when I had already all the meals for the day except dinner. Also, I have been taking Pantoprazole twice a day. So is the test still valid? Don't you have to take this test typically in fasting and no medication whatsoever?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Urea breath test (UBT) is rapid daignostic test which is used to determine the presence of Helicobector pylori, a bacteria which infect stomach lining. The bacteria is assosiated with many conditions like duodenal ulcer, gastric ulcer, gastric cancer and lymphoma.
The test uses the fact that orally administered urea is hydrolysed by enzyme urease produced by h pylori urea is converted to ammonia and co2 which diffuses to lungs. This urea is labelled with radioactive or non radioactive carbon C14 and C 13 respectively
Which is then detected.
Optimal preparation is
Fasting at least for one hour before testing.
Avoid PPIs within 2 wks prior to urea test
Avoid antibiotics 2 wks prior to test
Avoid bismuth preparation 2 wks prior to test
Dont test before 4 wks after h pylori treatment

These all instruction is for increasing the efficacy of the test to avoid false negative as you came out to be still positive so it is positive so complete the regimen for h pylori and test again after 4 wks

Hope it will help.

Please consult your doctor before taking any further course of action

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Dr M.S Khalil
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil