• question-icon

Child have loose stools whom had constipation earlier, was born premature and was medication. What could this be?

I have a 3 year old son who was born two and a half months premature. He has always had a very extended stomach and for the first 2 years he suffered from constant constipation and had to be on miralax and had to be given medicines to help him with hard bowel movements. Now for the past year he has went completely the other way and has nothing but watery stools and his stomach seems to be getting even more extended. He passes alot of gas and and is almost impossible to potty train because he has watery bowel movements more than ten times a day. I have taken him to the doctor and and he was put on a probiotic, had bloodwork and xrays done and is now being sent to a specialist. What could the cause be and the likelihood that its something serious?
Tue, 17 Dec 2013
Thanks for asking query on health care magic.
Loose motions >10 times a day for more than 2-3 weeks suggest that he is suffering from persistent diarrhoea.
Usually they suffer from lactase deficiency, hence Lactose containing foods to be avoided.
Confirm this fact by getting the stool examined for reducing sugars.
Give him Zerolac or soya bean milk .
Give Zn-20 5ml daily for 2 weeks in addition to probiotic prescribed by your doctor.Usually he will come round within 2 weeks.
If no improvement consult pediatrician.
Hope this answer will serve your purpose.
Please feel free to ask any more queries if required.
Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam MD; DCH.
Associate professor of pediatrics, MIMS.