Suggest treatment for black stools

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 29 Dec 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had diarea a d was nauseous for the diaresa I took Imodium and for the stomach I took peptp bismol and in a few hours iwas feeling better my diarea was watery and I spent the night in the bathroom
when I started to move my bowels. that was last Friday, my stool was black and it is Wednesday and still coming out black what is wrong
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
suggests active bleeding

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Black stools: this an emergency unless proved otherwise.
Black stools indicate that there is an active bleeding somewhere in the Gastrointestinal tract and the reason has to be found out immediately.

I would advise you the following :
Upper GI Endoscopy
Colonoscopy
Blood: CBC, bleeding profile
Urine: routine, microscopy.
Stool: routine, microscopy, occult blood.
Ultrasonography.

Admission in the hospital for proper treatment of the diarrhea, nausea, dehydration and associated problems, investigations to confirm whether there is bleeding, find and treat the cause.

I hope this answer helps you to get a proper guideline for diagnosis and treatment.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E