• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for behavioural disorders in a child

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Child Health
Question: Good Morning Doc. My Nephew 00 years old behaves very badly with his parents ( my younger sister and her hubby) and his sister ( younger 12 years old) He is a brilliant boy in school and the teacher is stunned to hear his abnormal behaviour at home. He loves troubling them and looks like he gets sadistic pleasure out of it. Please Advice...
Since Childhood he is like that. Banging doors, not listening to his parents, being disrespectful etc whereas he is very well behaved and tops his class. His parents are very simple and down to earth people and religious too. His father 57 years old is XXXXXXX school teacher and mother 45 years is Housemaker. Currently my sister is almost nearing going into depression as her daughter too keeps nagging her saying you always take side of her son. So she just doesn't know how to handle as request to the boy to visit a Doctor/ psychiatrist doesn't help as he is not ready to visit anyone. Please advice..
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
He is used to behave like that with submissive people - ne needs assessment

Detailed Answer:
Hi...I understand your concern.

By what you say I feel that he is behaving rudely with people who are submissive and who cannot retaliate.

This is not a good sign.

He definitely needs psychological assessment and counselling.

I suggest you take the boy like going to a general physician and get a pshychological assessment done with a clinical psychologist before going to a psychiatrist.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 3 hours later
Many Thanks Doctor for your advice.

Regarding behaving rudely to submissive people, His father or mother beats him once a while (quite hard) but he just doesn't show any emotions or reaction to the beating. Lately he started telling his mother why are you staying here? You can go to your mom's house and I can manage by taking food from hotel. Also he keeps beating his younger sister too almost daily.

On being told to let's go and seek some counsellor he says why should he go as he is fine..

Is there any way out by improving him by bringing in any changes in parents behaviour or dealing with him. Please advice..
Also kindly forward contact details of good Counseller & Psychiatrist residing at XXXXXXX (Tamil Nadu) please who can help us to overcome this serious issue..

Best Regards,

xxxxxxx XXXXXXX .
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please consult doctor Venkateswaran in XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I understand your concern.

Coming to your first query -

1. Reprimanding or beating will increase this sort of behaviour in this age group. That is not the solution. This age group kids have to be turned towards good behaviour by lovable words and more intimate parental relationship with the kid.

2. Coming to the exact point of what he said to his mother - he might not have got the idea by himself. I am expecting that some member of the family might have told it to her which he might have overheard.

3. During the counseling session both the kid and the parents will be individually and collectively given counseling, and it will not be a sudden makeover, it will be a smooth transition. So you need not worry about this.

Coming to your second query -

The best person I would suggest will be Dr Venkateswaran in XXXXXXX Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital, Nungambakkam in XXXXXXX


Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 13 minutes later
Doctor, Thanks for the reply once again.

Though your suggestion is welcome to seek Dr. Venkateswaran but as I brought out that as he is refusing to visit any Doctor, so visiting Nungambakkam is out of question. Hence sincere request to you to suggest us the best Counsellor & Psychiatrist at TRICHY itself so that as and when it's possible they all can visit and also I am sure you will appreciate that as its "long drawn counselling session" and not end with one visit so a Doctor or Doctors at Trichy will help.

Best Regards

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on good psychiatrist

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... I am sharing with you Dr Venkateswaran's number. He is available even in Pudukkottai it seems which is 40 kilometres from Trichy. I suggest you call him directly and enquire about a good Psychiatrist in Trichy or if you are willing to go to Pudukkottai you can do it as well.

+0000 - Dr. xxxxxxx

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Answered by
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Practicing since :2003

Answered : 8257 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

187 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Sumanth Amperayani
  • Q - Suggest treatment for viral diarrhea in children

  • Q - What causes pain in both the legs of a 4 year old child?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for atrial septal defect in children

  • Q - What causes bad body odor while suffering from fever?

  • Q - What causes eye bleeding while coughing in children?

  • Q - Suggest remedy for frequent infections in children

  • Q - What causes severe cough, vomiting and stomach pain in a child?

  • Q - Is air travel safe while suffering from ear infection?

  • Q - Does intake of Wymox help in curing viral fever in an infant?

  • Q - Are green diarrhea and pus cells in stool signs of bacterial infection?