Suggest treatment for attention deficit disorder

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2014
Jun 2014

Psychiatrist
Question
cannot focus and stay on task, easily distracted,never read an entire book all the way through i've been diagnosed as ADD and taken Ritalin for it..it works very well but because I'm an adult people don't take me seriously, they think its only for kids...I can't finish tasks ever, my mind wanders constantly, as I have an overactive brain, I can't get anything done, I'm so frustrated with this.. My house is a mess both my children and father are ADD can I get a Rx for generic Ritalin?
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try Bupropion

Detailed Answer:
HI
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

May be you have attention deficit disorder (ADD). In that case, you can try amphetamine or bupropion or methylphenidate (retalin) etc. At age of 67, there is no use of giving ritalin due to its side effect like headache, decrease appetite, chest pain or anxiety symptoms etc. In that case, you can try bupropion or low dose of amphetamine. Bupropion is a antidepressant and it would help to improve attention in your case. If it does not work, then you can try amphetamine. Amphetamine is a stimulant like ritalin and effective in ADD. Rest, you can discuss with your doctor.

If you have more query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist