Suggest treatment for adenomas on parathyroid glands
Noted your concern. Involvement of 3 glands is suspicious of MEN syndrome or pparathyroid hyperplasia. There is always a future chance of adenoma formation in the fourth gland. Hence most surgeons prefer to take out all 4 glands and then deposit a small portion of gland under the skin. Some people take out 3.5 gland and leave half gland at situ. While surgery is the best option, i understand that she can not be intubated. Surgery under local anaesthesia is possible, but should be done in highly experienced centers. Percutaneous alcohol ablation has high failure rate.
LASER treatment and radio frequency ablation are newer techniques for thyroid and parathyroid adenomas which involves no surgery. I do not think it is widely used in USA. But this commonly used in Italy. You could mail the following endocrinologists in Italy and enquire about getting alcohol ablation or laser treatment. This doesnt require general anesthesia.
You may email,
Dr. Paolo Vitti YYYY@YYYY ,
Dr. Rosella Elisei YYYY@YYYY
Dr XXXXXXX Valcavi YYYY@YYYY
By the way, has she had a nuclear scan ( Technicium Parathyroid SESTAMIBI) to localize the parathyroid adenomas? A proper localization is very importnant prior to any procedure.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment and cure for parathyroid adenoma
- Treatment and cure for parathyroid secreting adenoma
- Symptoms of left parathyroid adenoma
- Treatment and cure for left parathyroid adenoma
- Parathyroid secreting adenoma causes
- Symptoms of parathyroid secreting adenoma
- Removal of parathyroid adenoma
- Parathyroid adenoma causes
- Left parathyroid adenoma causes
- Parathyroid adenoma survival rate