Suggest treatment for acne

Dr. Hardik Pitroda

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi,
could you please provide me some cure to acne.. I do not have many.. but i i one every week... Not sure why...
I am eating quite right..not sure why.
I use tea tree oil on some of the blemish in the night before sleeping. Can you help.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Maintainence is the key !

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thank you for posting on HealthcareMagic.

I can understand your concern regarding Acne and I will try to answer your queries in best possible way.

Acne, as you must be aware is a pretty common condition affecting majority of people sometime during their adolescence and early adulthood.
It is caused chiefly due to hormonal influence and clogging of pores and followed by infection and inflammation.

It has tendency for recurrence and complications like pigmentation and scarring, thus mandates proper treatment at the earliest.

Treatment usually depends on severity of acne and as you have mentioned you get one or two pimples on and off, you must be having grade 1 or 2 acne.

Apart from active treatment, I would suggest you some maintenance treatment which you should be taking regularly to prevent recurrence.

Usually for active acne, I would advise you a proper course of oral antibiotics (Azithromycin, Doxycycline etc) for few weeks.
Additionally, I advise use of a cream containing nadifloxacin/clindamycin twice day and a gel containing benzoyl peroxide and adapalene for few months.

Apart from home-based treatment, I also advise procedures like chemical peeling and laser and light therapy for proper control of acne and to prevent and treat the dark spots and minor scars left by acne.

If there is no substantial improvement with regimen in few months, I may investigate you to screen your hormones for any abnormality and treat the condition accordingly.

Once you acne is resolved completely I would suggest you to continue maintenance treatment.

For maintenance, I would suggest you to gently apply tretinoin cream/gel in very low concentration (0.012 -0.025%) on alternate nights over full face.
Use of tretinoin on daily basis, will not only treat and prevent acne, but will also remove minor blemishes and will work as anti-aging medication also.

Use good quality face wash like FASH facewash gel and a moisturizer like EMOLENE cream on regular basis to keep your skin healthy.

Avoid junk food as far as possible and include plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet.

Avoid oil-based make-up and any other cosmetics as far as possible.

Hope this will take care of your condition.

Let me know if you require any more assistance from my side.

Thanking you
Dr Hardik Pitroda
M.D Dermatology

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Pitroda 37 minutes later
,.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 2 days later
Brief Answer:
-----

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
I think you have send me a follow up question but cant see any text out there. Please check and let me know if you need any of my assistance.
Thank you
Dr Hardik Pitroda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju