Suggest treatment for acid reflux and indigestion

Question
Oh, and I have been having acid reflux a lot and never even had indigestion in my life more than a cojuple of times. This worries me, as I know it can hurt my esophogus.......
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use Tums / antacid syrup / prilosec.

Detailed Answer:

Acid reflux can be severe in few patients. However it has never been reported to cause acute concerning damages to the esophagus. Yes, there are some ill effects; but they are found in patients who suffer with the problem consistently over years. You can take acid lowering drugs. There are plenty of those brands available over the counter - tums, peptobismol, mucaine gels, gaviscon and prilosec are few common names. I prefer gaviscon and prilosec in my patients.

If the heart burn is extremely severe and debilitation, I insist you visit the ER where a basic EKG should be done to rule out angina / coronary artery disease.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you need any more clarifications.