Suggest treatment for a boil
Oral and Topical Antibiotics
Hello. Thank you for writing to us
I am dr.kakkar (dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.
For a furuncle I would suggest a course of an Oral antibiotic for a week e.g either Cephalexin 500mg, thrice daily or Trimethoprim sulphamethoxazole (800mg+160mg), twice daily for a week.
Topically you may use an antibiotic ointment e.g 2% mupirocin or 2% fusidic acid ointment.
In addition an Oral antiinflammatory/ painkiller e.g ibuprofen 400mg, twice daily for a week would help relieve pain and swelling.
These would be prescription medications and I would suggest that you talk to your General Practitioner regarding the same
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment for boils after they burst
- Suggest home remedies for treatment of boils
- Treatment for a boil
- Suggest treatment for painful boil on buttocks
- Siddha treatment for boil marks
- Names of ointments for treatment of boils
- Suggest treatment for blood and pus filled boil on buttocks
- Suggest treatment for recurring heat boils
- Length of antibiotic treatment for boils
- Boils on face had medicines suggest possible treatment