Suggest treatment for Sleep Apnea

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Posted on Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Sleep Disorders
Question: hi there recently i have had a lot of trouble trying to sleep. I have no trouble falling asleep. However i sleep for only a few hours at a time and wake up again, but again have no trouble falling asleep again. My snoring is driving my partner crazy and i thrash about a lot in my sleep aswel. Last night I was in a state like dozing, I could here myself snoring but was unable to move or wake myself up. I find it very hard to wake up in the morning and am constantly tired. Any advice on what could be wrong?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Consult a Respiratory Specialist for sleep apnea Detailed Answer: Hi Lady, Thanks for your query. Your symptoms suggest that you are apparently suffering from Sleep Apnea(SA), particularly Obstructive Sleep Apnea(OSA). Sleep apnea is a common and potentially serious disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts as you sleep. Sleep apnea affects the way you breathe when you’re sleeping. In untreated sleep apnea, breathing is briefly interrupted or becomes very shallow during sleep. These breathing pauses typically last between 10 to 20 seconds and can occur up to hundreds of times a night, jolting you out of your natural sleep rhythm. As a consequence, you spend more time in light sleep and less time in the deep, restorative sleep you need to be energetic, mentally sharp, and productive the next day. It is a treatable condition. Consult a Pulmonologist (Chest specialist) and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me; carry out diagnostic test and guide you regarding the best treatment options. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Take care, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal