Suggest treatment for RLS while on Requip, Lyrica and Klonopin

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I need help with Restless Leg Syndrome. It is extreme and has been for several days resulting in less than 4 hours sleep plus all the damages that come from shaking the legs, twisting and rolling. I have it in both legs, and arms when it is extreme. Started 2000. Have taken a number of medicines over time starting with Maripex, Requip, Aprazalam, Clonopen, Lyrica, gamapaten most recently and Hydro codone 5/325. Only the NORCO seemed to help in the past. Now nothing helps but I have not been taking the gamapeten too long nor very consistently. I need this to get better now as the last five nights are having other effects. I sometimes get "icky waves or non-thought sensations in the day. I recognize them and call them off verbally noting, "that was a bad feeling/sensation/?? whatever describes a non-thought sense of icky feeling in the brain. Can you help? I supplement with Magnesium and just added iron today. If i get no help I am going to double down on the norco [2 5/325 pills] tonight and do whatever it takes to sleep. Suggestions? help?
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Expert advise for basic cause & psychological management would help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi xxxxxxx,
Thanks for the query on health care magic platform.I have read it ..& am really sorry to read about your problem.
I observe that you had been mostly taking drugs acting on brain to mask the symptoms & the basic cause has not yet been traced... & that seems to be the cause for your non responding & aggravating symptoms on one side & loading your central nervous system with the drugs causing side effects like dizziness,depressive thoughts .. giving your present feeling of blank or thoughtless condition.
Your restless legs seem to be secondary to underlying cause. There are number of conditions which can cause it. In your case it seems to be Rheumatoid arthritis along with iron deficiency anemia, fibromyalgia or venous problems/ Spinal lesions causing neuralgic pain,/ thyroid problem/ diabetes .
* I think, what you need is extensive investigations & expert advice to find
the basic cause , & try to treat it symptomatically/ basically along with psychotherapist's counselling to overcome the nagging thoughtless symptoms you have.
* In this context you should visit a physician to start with. He would examine you extensively, get relevant investigations done & refer you to concerned expert for treating the basic cause with medicines & suggest life style changes to help.
Psychological management should be advised by expert psychologist with medications & counselling as per need.
* Your own efforts with nutritious diet , nutritional supplements as advised( iron, calcium, magnesium, folic acid ), drinking sufficient water.
- Try for positive approach with engaging in activities you like . join a group of same age friends, practicing Pranayama( respiratory exercises)& meditation with positive self talk daily.
- Use Yoganidra audio cassette before sleeping... to have sound sleep with the medicines advised
Thus with expert advise , specific medication & self determination you would overcome the problem over the time.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana