Suggest treatment for OCD

Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Mental Health
Question: sir i am currently suffering from a mental problem where i repeat my acts again again and again.my mind attach my acts with some negative thoughts .i know that i dont want to do this but this out of my control. the negative thoughts can be regarding family or my near and dear ones. whatever problem in the world i see i become threatened.i read/write/do some work again n again by thinking something good this time. but sir it has become too much now . i cant even study. i tear my pages again n again if i come across any negative thought in between . even while writing this i have cut it again n again as some negative thoughts came in between. kindly help me sir i cant do anything . while negative thoughts give me a view that i have to overcome this with a good one else it will threaten me again . many a time i repeat acts 50 times or more . plz sir help me out and kindly tell me if i have to take any kind of medicines or something .and yes some time before i started drinking and smoking but within a couple of months i quitted it totally . i dont know why i m so much scared towards things . i was not so before 2 or 2 and half years . waiting for ur reply and medicines if needed .
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Your repetitive fear and thoughts appear to obsessional thought, and repetitive actions appear to compulsive behaviour to decrease anxiety related to obsession. Obsession and compulsion are seen in obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).

OCD is a type of anxiety disorder and frequently associated with generalised anxiety disorder. If these disorders are not treated early they can lead to depression because of distress and dysfunction.

Common symptoms of anxiety disorders: anxiety, nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own wellbeing, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, palpitation, sleep difficulty and dry mouth. Many of your complaints may match with this.

Anxiety is associated with excessive worry related health, family and survival. Type of worry/fear differ patient to patient and depend on childhood development & knowledge. If anxiety is severe (like in your case), then anxiety do not removed only by reassurance and treatment from specialist become necessary.

Same time you may need treatment with psychiatrist to treat your anxiety and OCD. It is not clear if you received any treatment in past. As you are having multiple symptoms then combined treatment in form cognitive behaviour therapy and drug therapy will be best in your case.

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect and cognitive behaviour therapy also takes weeks to show its effect.

So, do not worry and take first step towards treatment by personally meeting nearby psychiatrist.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
sir i cant afford meeting psychiatrists.even i have never had any treatment from anyone directly/indirectly. i have never taken any medicine or anything till yet and yes i have somehow managed to spend this rs.600. i always fear about family health and life and always have very negative thoughts in mind . even if i make a call suddenly my mind will start to think very odd thoughts and if i dont like that thought i will cancel call and do it again .so sir plz give me description of tablets/medicines i should take with the prescription as how to take them means in morning or night. and yes how much time i should take them and plz be specific about which medicine and which company.i cant afford any more fees now.plz tell me if any exercise or self therapy can help me or anything at my own level.and yes plz tell me exact medicines
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

I can understand your financial concern, but online prescriptions are not allowed, and to buy psychiatric medicines written prescription is necessary.

Usually in cases like you I start Capsule Fludac 20mg in the morning after breakfast. Medicine usually shows effect in 1 month. For self help you can follow free online CBT sessions after searching on google.

Considering financial concern you can visit nearby government hospital, as they provide free consultation. Some hospital also provide free medications.

Please accept my answer and give feedback in case there is no further query and you found reply helpful. In case of doubt, I am here to help you.

Wish you good health.
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
sir what can i do after a month of using fludac . plz tell me proper medicines if not here then on YYYY@YYYY . as if i come to meet u personally again like rs 600 i will be forced to give more fees . if u can give me some discount so that i can afford ur personal meeting then i can do so sir , its a humble request kindly tell me the medicines or what do u charge and hw much will u charge from me now. i m a student not in a position to spend much more on this illness . thank u sir ..ur guidance and help is necessary, my concentration has moved to less than one fourth . i need ur help
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

To poor people I can give 50% discount in consultation.

After 1 month we will review medicine doses after mental status examination of patient.

Still considering financial concern I would advise you to visit nearby government hospital, as they provide free consultation from psychiatrists. Some hospital also provide free medications.

Wish you good health.
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Mittal 3 hours later
Sir, i shall not say lie because i m not poor but as an student at this point of time i cant afford this cost as i am preparing for competitive exams to get a job and at this point of time i gave rs 600 that i thought will be sufficient but now as it is not so ,, i want to meet you . you tell me the date and timings and after how many days of taking fludac 20 i shall meet you. kindly see if you can give me the discount .it is a humble request on my part
and sir 1 more question can i take 2 pills per day ? what is your normal fee and what will it be for me .. thnx willing to meet u n get my problem sorted out
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Ok I will give you 50% discount in consultation considering your current position. But bring the printout of 1 page of this conversation. My fee is 600INR (300 for you).

Take only 20mg and meet me after 2 week.

Address: Dr Mittal Clinic (Confidence Clinic), The Sapphire Mall, 248 (Second Floor), Opposite Omaxe city centre/ Orchid Petals, Sohna Road, Sector 49, XXXXXXX (Haryana)

Consultation Time: Friday (5-8 PM) and Sunday (3PM-6PM)

Wish you good health.