Suggest treatment for IBS

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: my wife has developed Irritable bowel syndrome after going thru her medications for breast cancer. what would be the best options to reduce the same ?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

What symptoms does she have? What medicine was she given?When was it given?
If this was chemo, you can not call this IBS. IBS is a group of symptoms which reason can not be established and remain unknown. To diagnose this syndrome all known digestive tract diseases must be ruled out. Otherwise, IBS can not be diagnosed.
Chemo affects fast multiplying cells. Such cells are in the cancer and in the bowels. That is why chemo destroys intestine cells and can cause diarrhea and vomiting. Usually this symptoms are temporal and subside by itself.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.