question-icon

Suggest the ideal dosage for Keppra taken for seizures

Posted on Tue, 17 May 2016
Question: My wife had a menianoma sorry for the spelling, removed in 2012 she now has seizures once in a while. She has been on 3000 mg of keppra. She had a seizure in Mexico last week, not pretty. The MD has put her on 3000 mg of keppra and 300mg of dilantin. He thinks she doesn't do well with keppra and wants to switch her over to dilantin over time. Any thoughts.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal (32 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Suggestions

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr Mittal. I have read your message. I think I can help you.
First, I agree with you that kepra should be taken twice a day. The medicine does not have a 24 hour half life. So it's needed to be given in divided doses frequently.
Second question is regarding the change of the medicine.
In this I would like to know the exact sequence in which she develops the seizure before I can make a comment.
Please let me know.
Best of luck. Dr Mittal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal (28 minutes later)
She always had the seizures in the mornings. Tells me she ran out of medicine since she always took all of them in the morning. Now taking 2 times a day. I question the need to go to dilantin? Is dilantin safe?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal (8 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Dilantin is safe

Detailed Answer:
Yes Dilantin can be used.
It's a safe medicine and has been in use for a long time.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist