How can scratchy throat be treated naturally post treatment for nasal congestion and cough?

Question
I was treated for strep about a month ago. Also had nasal congestion and cough. It finally seemed like the cough was going away, and then this morning I woke up and my throat was a little scratchy not sore just a little scratchy, and I have a tickle on and off in my throat. I don't know if something is starting again. I took emergenc this morning, and gargaling with salt and warm water for scratchy throat. Is there anything else I can try?
Mon, 14 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Home remedies

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be answering your query today.

*do you know if you snore while sleeping?
*do you use a humidifier?
*do you have any other medical issues or take any medications?
*do you smoke?

Yes there are a few more measures you can take to treat and prevent soreness.
-avoid cold drinks
-avoid citric fruits/juices while your throat is sore.
-have warm water throughout the day. Stay well hydrated (unless you have a medical reason to restrict water intake)
-before bedtime and once in the morning, have some warm water with honey. This treats the dryness and soothes the throat.
-if you snore or tend to open your mouth while sleeping or your room is dry, use a face mask or a scarf to lightly cover your nose and mouth to breath in humidifier air.
- take a vitamin c supplement (which your are-emergen c) with plenty of water to improve immunity.
-steam inhalations thrice a day with few drops eucalyptus oil helps with throat inflammation and chest congestion.
-if you have access to tulsi leaves, have a decoction of these with pepper, ginger and top it off with honey

These should help with the sore throat and any residual cough.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Wish you good health.
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Follow-up: How can scratchy throat be treated naturally post treatment for nasal congestion and cough? 1 hour later
I don't know if I snore, I don't use a humidifier, I take Dilantin and Astorvistatin, I don't smoke. Should I be concerned that it has been a month and I was better last week, and now have this scratchy tickle?

Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Home remedies for now

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the follow up and clarifications.

No need to be concerned. Just take necessary precautions and remedies to prevent it from worsening.
This season has one prone to such ailments. If your sore throat becomes worse or you develop a fever (more than 101 for 2 days), you need to see a doctor.
Else just rest, hydrate and practice these measures (in my previous reply).

Do consider using a scarf or mask and see if it helps. Dry throat is a trigger for soreness and infection. Hope this helps.
I'd be happy to help with any further queries you may have.
Wish you good health.
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Follow-up: How can scratchy throat be treated naturally post treatment for nasal congestion and cough? 35 minutes later
Should I be concerned that I still have the cough? It was much better, and now this scratchy tickle has triggered it again.

Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not if it's mild

Detailed Answer:
Is your cough dry or productive? What color is the phlegm, if you have it?

Dry throat can trigger cough. Even thick secretions can trigger cough. The home remedies can help with both of these.
If it worsens, then see a doctor to examine you.

Hope I've been helpful. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help
Wish you good health.

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad