Suggest some exercises for abdominal fat reduction

Dr. Kulbir Singh

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Exercise
Question: Hi Doctor,
I have decided to gym very soon. Dont have a physical trainer. I need to know what kind of exercises can i start with. I am more concerned abt abdominal fat reduction.. Pls suggest the ways and equipments tat i can use
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for writing in
The best exercise for weight loss and reduce fat is brisk walk for 1 hours at speed of 5 km per hr. Certain other exercises you can start with are:

1. Try sprinting. Run as fast and as far as you can for 20 seconds, then slow to a walk until you catch your breath. Repeat for 10 minutes.
2. Set a treadmill, elliptical or stationary bike for interval training. Most modern exercise equipment can be set to an interval training mode, which will significantly increase the difficulty of the exercise for short periods of time.
3. Go for a quick walk. Fit some exercise into your work day by getting up from your desk and going for a 5-minute power walk. Take long strides and keep a brisk pace, or try going up and down a flight of stairs.
4. Do the bridge. Get into the position for doing a push up/press up. Rest on your elbows and keep your eyes to the floor at all times. Pull your stomach muscles in tight, imagining them going to your backbone. As you do this, your bottom should be down and your back straight. Aim to hold this position for as long as it feels comfortable. During the holding period, don't arch your back but keep it as straight as possible. If it feels too hard at first, allow your knees to form a resting platform. Aim to hold the position for 30 seconds and repeat this exercise 3 to 5 times.
5. Do squats. Stand with your feet 8-9 inches apart, extend your arms in front of you, and squat your hips backward. Do four sets of 15 to 20 squats, working several minutes at a time.
6. Stretch the sides of your waist. Stand up straight, with your feet hip-width apart. Put your right hand on your right hip, and lift your left arm straight up, so that your palm is facing to the right. Keeping your legs centred, lean to the right and reach over with your left arm, stretching your left side. Do 3 to 5 times on each side.
7. Along with the exercises a proper diet chart and dieting is must to reduce fat. Consult your dietician for that.

If you are facing problem to understand the exercises than you can see the videos of the exercise on youtube,com. WWW.WWWW.WW WWW.WWWW.WW
Hope this will help you. Write back if you have any doubt.

Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh