Suggest remedy for weight loss in a patient with degenerative disc disease

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: i have gained overweight and now in need of getting into shape,but the issue is that i am suffering from degenerated disk space narrowing issue so feel backpain which travels to left foot also.could not continue treatment due to often relocation nature of my job.i have been suffering for 4 years but i am afraid to join gym without proper guidance from medical expert in regard to kind of exercises i can do to reduce weight so that it does not upset my present medical condition rather improves it.suggest me which exercises should i do to get shape as well as get rid of this backpain issue to lead a healthy life.i have reports of xray and MRI which i can send you if needed.

i have not received any emil evenif the payment has been made ,pls i am waiting for the report of doctor and let me know how more time it will take to finish reply report from doctor.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery is the best form of treatment in your case.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I understand your concern.

I have gone through the MRI report.

The changes seem to cause nerve impingement.This is called Radiculopathy.

The spinal exercises are well elaborated with images on this URL-please go through it-http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/exercise-sciatica-degenerative-disc-disease

The best form of therapy in your case is surgery to decompress the nerve at L5-S1 level.No other therapy will be more effective than this.

Exercises will NOT cure your condition.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.

Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 17 minutes later
but two orthopadics whose medication i was under before told me that 90% can be cured by exercise and no requirement of sugery but i could not continue tratmant due to relocation of my job.are you sure surgery is the only way out.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is a progressive spine disorder.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I understand your concern.

I apologise for the delayed response.

You seem to have a compressive cause of the pain at various levels in the lumbar spine.These changes are more prominent at L5-S1 level.

This is a degenerative and a progressive disorder which worsens with time.

Hence, a surgery becomes mandatory at some point.

Meanwhile, I would like to prescribe oral tablets of Matilda ER and Nortriptyline for 3-6 months.This will help to reduce pain and nerve inflammation to a great extent.Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe the same to you.

Post your further queries if any.

Thank you.