What does this MRI report for back pain indicate?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Cancer
Question: I had an MRI done this week d/t to acute back pain (lower). Recently exercised for the first time in a while... inflammation build up and some mild disc bulge (L5-S1). Also on the report was something of concern. "...Slightly decreased marrow signal intensity on T1-weighted images could suggest marrow conversion or myelofibrosis. The conus medullaris has a normal appearance. The conus terminates near the superior margin of L2." Impression: "Decreased marrow signal intensity on T1-weighted images may represent marrow conversion or possibly myelofibrosis. Minimal degenerative disease."

I'm 42 Male. Not in shape but not way overwieght either. No history of smoking or alcohol use. I get short of breath pretty easy but I have attributed that to my lack of exercise.

I have had a small lymph node swollen for many years just below my belt line on the right side. Or could be one of those fatty tumors just under the skin which i have developed along the upper thighs.. and it stays irritated in that position? I also have a small ingrown hair in the pubic area that seems to stay infected (mild) and never goes away...which i thought could be keeping that possible lymp node swollen. That ingrown hair grew under the skin for years and I just thought it was a lump and it finally came open one day... so been mildly draining pus over the years but nothing major.

back the the MRI... I have an appointment to see a doc but waiting until next week availability. Could the impression on the report be normal for my age?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not likely to be of significance

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You have provided a very detailed history. But I don't see anything of immediate concern in your history.

Coming to the MRI, this seems pretty benign to me. Nothing which should raise a flag. Some mild degenerative spine disorder is there but nothing serious. The slightly decreased marrow signal intensity may be normal for you.

Overall, I think there is nothing serious so far.

Hope this helps.
regards