Suggest remedy for swelling on hands, legs and ankles

Posted on Thu, 27 Aug 2015 in Mental Health
Question: my dad is taking baclofen 10 mg and stablon 12.5mg times three times a day and thiamine 100mg two times a day since last 5 weeks. 3-4 days ago he developed swelling in his hands and legs. many mentioned that he is looking fat. in legs severe swelling is just above the ankle. although the it does not hurt neither he does feel any problem because of swelling.

but what is causing this. few days ago he took lot of lemon. like with food and lemon juice. can that be issue?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Plenty of fluids sometimes can result in edema.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related queries

I can understand your concern. He is taking Baclofen 10 three times, Stablon 12.5 three times a day, Thiamin 100 twice a day. If we consider these drugs and doses then it is very unlikely that these drugs are cause of edema he is having. But out of these drugs Tianeptine or Stablon in some patients is known to cause Postural Hypotension. Postural hypotension could result in extremity edema in some individuals especially in those who sit or stand for prolonged duration of time.

So first thing I'd advise you to get his blood pressure checked in lying down position and then immediately in standing position and to find out any postural drop in BP. Any good physician can help in ruling out the condition.

Other possible cause considering his history of alcohol abuse is hypoproteinemia. Low proteins could be the cause of edema. Get his total protein, serum albumin, serum globulin and A/G ration checked to rule out the condition.

Anaemia is other possible cause.

Now coming to his history of use of lemon juice. Yes plenty of fluids if taken in short period of time can result in dependent edema in some individuals but if we consider lemon specifically then this will not result in edema. So I'd advise you to put two pillows below his feet when he sleeps and wait for at least two days. Most likely the edema will resolve but if it persist then visit a physician.

Thanks, Hope this helps you. If you have more doubts please ask again. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist