Suggest remedies for heart palpitation and irritable mood

Dr. Manisha Gopal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 11 May 2016 in Mental Health
Question: hello.

My name is XXXXXXX my BP this morning was 119/86. I am 6.2, 228 lbs. I have severe Osa which I use a cpap for and generalized anxiety due to heart palpitations. i am currently having a 3 day bout of at least 5 palps per hr. they are making me jump. I walked for 40 minutes on the treadmill this morning. no issues. feel great besides these damn things. I am starting to get angry and very agitated regarding these. I took 500 mg of magnesium yesterday and today. what can I do to get rid of these. I have tried everything. please help. I start a new job tomorrow and I can't get these at work.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
it is anxiety- drugs, diet, supplements & deep breathing wll help

Detailed Answer:
Hello
welcome to health care magic!

I have read your query Keth and can see that you have some long standing health issues but for now they are stable with treatment. The thing bothering you right now is palpitation and irritable mood.

You complaint of having anger issues and want to sort them out.

1. I would like you tell you that anger/agitation/irritation/palpitation etc., are quite commonly seen in generalised anxiety disorder(GAD) and the symptoms can be really bothering and might harm personal and proffesional relations. You are very right in seeking help.

There are several medications which can help - anti anxiety drugs. As you are having osa it will be wise to go for cardio safe molecules like- sertraline or tianeptine.
They are good drugs and will help you significantly.

2. Apart from drugs it will be wise to rule out certain deficiencies - Vit B 12 & Vit D; thyroid disorders. These can also lead to such symptoms and may aggravate already existing mood complaints.

3. You are using cpap for osa but you havent mentioned anything about your sleep quality?...
a good restorative sleep is esential for good mood!! So, just take care.

4. In diet- I have seen avoiding tea, coffee and cold drinks always help.
Take more nuts in diet (not cashew nuts but!); water and salad.

5. It is advisable to practice deep slow breathing 10-20min daily. It is helpful in bringing down anger.

I hope the reply is useful for you in recovering from these problems.
If there are constraints you may start with deep breathing, dietary measures and some exercises regulary & start medicines as soon as possible.

Have a speedy recovery!
Please feel free to ask more questions for clarificafion.
Dr. Manisha Gopal
MD Neuropsychiatry

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T