question-icon

Suggest remedy for sleeplessness in an infant

Posted on Wed, 25 Nov 2015
Question: hi .. my baby boy is almost 15 months old. He was feeling disturbed and was not ready to sleep in cradle... tried putting him to sleep in cradle but he started to cry and was crying continuously
... can you please tell me what is wrong.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (6 hours later)
Brief Answer:
You need to be observant and need to identify the cause

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I see that much time has elapsed after you have posted your query. I have gone carefully through it and understand your concerns. The commonest cause of a child to be crying continuously is abdominal colic which may occur due to overdistention of abdomen. However, it is possible that there is some uneasiness somewhere in the body and hence the child is crying. The source of such uneasiness needs to be identified. Suitable intervention would provide relief. If the problem persists it might be worthwhile to vistit a doctor and get him assessed.

It is also possible that the child is feeling separation anxiety or is having night terrors and the thought of sleeping alone might make him cry out. Such a thing is not unusual. Reassurance is all that is needed.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician