What causes sudden change in sleeping patterns of an infant?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: Dear dr,

I had difficulty tucking in my 17 month boy to sleep recently. He can cry non stop for 2-3hours before he finally feels sleepy. His sleeping hours are pretty regular until recently. Once we closed the bedroom door he will cry non stop until we open the door and lights he will run out and start playing.

He takes noon naps around 2 hrs usually . And sleeps around 9-10hrs per night. Now he is refusing to sleep at all. Otherwise he looked fine and very active whole day.

What is the reason for the sudden change ? We tried all the usual methods, his bedtime XXXXXXX his favorite toy, wash him up etc. every usual methods is not effective now.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
All your child needs is the comfort of being with you.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through the entire scenario described. It seems to be nothing but a case of separation anxiety. I say this because the child is otherwise fine but as soon as you close the bedroom door, he goes into crying but as soon as you make yourself available again, his reaction changes. The primary solution is reassurance. You need to talk to your child and express your keen-ness to cooperate with him. Then you need to assure him that even though you are not in the room, you are always with him and that he can call for you anytime and you would be there.