What causes continuous acting up and temper tantrum in a child?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 6 Apr 2016 in Child Health
Question: My granddaughter is 5 years old. When I pick her up, she acts totally normal. Comes over visits with people. When her mom brings her over and leaves to a store for just a few minutes or leaves her at home to go to a store. She throws a continual temper tantrum. Throwing herself on the ground, jumping up and down, screaming, sometimes hits or bites or slaps herself. Begs to see her mom, acts like I am a complete stranger, although I have brought her hear at least 400 times by picking her up. Last for 30 plus, maybe longer until her mom returns. What's your opinion
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
She needs developmental assessment for school readiness

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

The phenomenon that you are describing is called acting out. Such things are often seen in children and in this case it seems to be occurring as a coping mechanism for the stress that she might be feeling when her mother is not around.

However, I would not consider it entirely normal as children should learn better coping mechanisms by this age. Moreover acting out is often seen in children with ADHD.

Hence the child needs a proper developmental assessment. There are a number of preschool developmental scales available and your doctor would be able to choose the scale, administer the tests and grade your granddaughter for the developmental scale.

Moreover, there are simple questionnaires which can be answered by the parents or caregivers to find out whether she has chances of having ADHD.

In any case I would not insist on ignoring it (although many pediatricians may wrongly ask you to be patient). Based on the findings, simple interventions like group therapy should make a lot of difference.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
She visits me every week or two. Acts fine when I pick her up, but wants to see her mom after a day or two, sometimes three days. Like to play at park, swim, run, watch cartoons, color sometimes, play with toys, play dough, etc. . Appears to have a hard time understanding numbers and letters, or quickly loses interest. Does not want to participate long in those categories.. No pre school yet and should be in kindergarten soon. Afraid she is already behind and may not like being away from mom. Only been at her house or mine. Your opinion
Brief Answer:
Developmental assessment is still needed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

I understand the situation. Incidentally most often children with ADHD or learning disabilities go unidentified. Your granddaughter is potentially at risk since she also exhibits problems with letters and numbers. School readiness is different from pre-schooling or kindergarten. School readiness indicates development of certain higher attributes like coping with stresses like separation anxiety. So, the utility of developmental assessment remains. It has to be sequentially done in order to ensure that the child's development is proceeding on the right track. With minimal developmental support appropriate for the developmental stage, the performance of these children can be enhanced greatly.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 41 minutes later
One final thing. She talks as intelligent as an 7 year old mostly and ask higher level questions than a 5 year old about certain things. Can remember things you say or promise from a week or two back. Then will sometimes talk in a lower monolithic type conversation that you have to ask her to say it again? Also listens to others conversations quite well and will all of a sudden join in or make a comment about who or what you are discussing. This while supposedly playing by herself with a toy.. Your opinion?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems fine

Detailed Answer:
This is indeed a good sign that she has a good intelligence and memory. I cannot however understand what exactly you mean by the term 'monolithic'. I assume that at those times she is talking on a low tone and hence might seem inaudible.

The joining in and commenting amidst an ongoing conversation is normal to be seen in a child of this age. You need not need to get bothered about it.