Suggest remedy for sleeplessness caused by sleep apnea
Thanks very much for your question.
There are a few things that could be going wrong here. First, it may be that your mask does not actually fit as well as it could. This could lead to leaking, which could make the CPAP work less efficiently. Second, it may be (as you suggest) the pressure settings on your CPAP are not adequate. You may need a higher positive pressure applied. Third, it may be that you can central, rather than obstructive, sleep apnea. Central sleep apnea is rarer, but this could explain why CPAP is not working, and why you are having the sensation of needing to take deep breaths during the day. Alternatives to CPAP include BIPAP, the medication Diamox, or a surgical intervention by an ENT. I would get another polysomnogram (sleep study), even if you have had one within the last few years, to get further diagnostic and treatment clarity.
My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX psychiatrist working in New York City. For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, or individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for severe insomnia and anxiety
- Suggest treatment for delusional behavior and sporadic emotional turmoil
- Suggest ways to deal with a broken relationship
- Suggest alternative medication for schizophrenia
- What causes fatigue, hypersomnia and dry eyes?
- What causes severe headaches and seizure like symptoms?
- Suggest treatment for OCD with a serious symptom of compulsions to urinate
- What causes bumps on penis after non-penetrative sex?
- Does Provigil cause agitation?
- What causes irritable behavior after taking Buspar with SSRI and Lamictal?