Suggest remedy for post nasal drip that causes cough

ENT Specialist
Question
what do you recommend for post nasal drip? I believe I have a bad case of it that causes me to cough after eating and causes my nose to plug 365 days a year? It could also be gerd? I live in area with a lot of trees and I work in an office with a lot of heat and no windows
what is natural remedies that I can take
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Deepashree 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
allergic rhino sinusitis, chronic sinusitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query.
Analysing your history, if feel probably you might be having allergic rhino sinusitis, or deviated septum in the nose causing chronic sinusitis leading to post nasal drip.
Gerd is very unlikely to cause post nasal drip.
Cough while eating can also be because of post nasal drip.
As per your history, you live in places with lot of trees suggest likely possibility of pollen allergy.
Both conditions needs medical evaluation.
If I were your treating doctor, I would have clinically examined you, confirmed my diagnosis,
if it's deviated septum causing chronic sinusitis then I would advise for surgery.
If it's allergic rhinitis, then I would prescribe steroid nasal spray and antihistamines + leukotriene antagonist for 3 months.
CT scan and nasal endoscopy are the investigation advised to evaluate the case.
Empirically you can take anti histamine+mucolytics combination drugs twice a day for 2 weeks.
Do steam inhalation.
Advise saline nasal douching to clear the nasal secretions.

Natural remedies are steam inhalation regularly, with saline nasal douching, neti pot usage, breathing exercises.
Hope my answers have helped you. Pleased to help you further. Thanks.