What causes red itchy blotches all over the body?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: small red blotches on foot & toe, increasing redness/blotching on spider vein areas on foot; all over the body itching---primarily scalp, back, arms, ankles; itched areas become redder/blotched. I have mild seasonal pollen allergy.
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly you have acute urticaria

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.

I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Perhaps you have Acute Urticaria i.e Hives. It presents as itchy, blotchy wheals and surrounding red flare.

I would like to know the duration of symptoms? Also I request you to kindly upload a few images of the affected areas in "Reports Section" so that is am able to confirm and guide you better.

You may take a tab. cetrizine 10mg Or tab. loratadine 10mg once a day for symptomatic relief from itching.

Topically I suggest that you use a soothing lotion e.g calamine lotion, frequently.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 27 hours later
Dr Kakkar, I definitely do not have "Hives" because there are no wheals with surrounding red flare present. The itching doesn't result in any skin signs---no redness infection, bumps or eruptions---unless I scratch so intensely as to cause skin abrasion, or cause red blotches from thin skin/lack of collagen beneath the skin (i'm 78).

The few red/brown spots on feet/toes do not itch---I was concerned that they might be a sign of Diabetes. My Glucose Fasting values have ranged between 88 and 122 depending on yoyo dieting levels.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Posdible Schamburg's purpura and Xerosis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for clarification.
The red/ brown blotches on feet and lower legs are most like Schamburg's purpura which usually presents as an asymptomatic condition. The appearance of purpuric spots resembles 'cayenne pepper'. Schamburg's purpura is a benign condition, unrelated to Diabetes and is due to capillaritis resulting in leakage of rbc's into dermis. The released haemoglobin from rbc's breaks down into hemosiderin pigment which gives the reddish brown appearance to the spots. There is no effective therapy for Schamburg's purpura however topical steroids like betamethasone valerate 0.1% cream or mometasone furoate 0.1% cream can be tried and have been reported to be beneficial in lightening the spots.
Generalized itching is perhaps due to Xerosis which is more common in Diabetes patients. For that i suggest you to use an intensive moisturizer e g either
Colloidal oat meal based or Ammonium lactate 12% lotion, twice daily.
You may anyways take a tablet of cetrizine 10mg once daily for symptomatic relief from itching.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj