Suggest remedy for mouth ulcers

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Canker sore or herpes? I have attached a picture.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Aphthous ulcer

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

I am sorry to see that you are suffering from mouth ulceration. The picture you submitted shows what is called an aphthous ulcer. Is is caused by the Coxsakie virus and is not herpes. This is a very common problem. It is treated by making a solution of 1 part benadrl syrup and 1 part maalox. Swish and spit out 4-6 times per day. The benadryl will numb up the ulcer and the maalox will bind to the ulcer and help heal the ulcer.

These ulcers can last from a few days to a week

In summary
1. Aphthous ulcer
2. Self limiting 3-7 days
3. treat with Benadryl syrup and maalox solution swish and spit

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions