Suggest remedy for heart arrhythmia

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Can Dr. XXXXXXX Moser answer this question?

It feels as though my heart is skipping beats. Last night when I put my finger to my throat and counted the pulses, I feel a little skip after about 10-15 beats. I also have the clasps at the back of my bra on the farthest out clasp (normally it's closer in) and yet it feels as though my bra is pressing tightly.

I am a 61 year old female in very good health. No known heart related issues I am aware of in my family - parents, siblings.

I am at the office working right now, but I feel anxious about this situation and want to get it checked out. Just really noticed last night (3/27) that this is not me. I have been carefree and healthy all of my life.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Information:

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ms. XXXXXXX

I do not think Dr. Moser answers questions on this site anymore. HCM has not updated the pictures of it's physicians to reflect this. But I see that 2 hours have passed and it is important for an answer to not be delayed further.

What you are describing is a heart arrhythmia. Often these are benign irregularities in the heart rhythm. But if they cause light headedness, fatigue, or chest pressure, then they are concerning. Regardless, an arrhythmia needs to be evaluated to figure out the source of what the problem is and the type of problem.

I am particularly concerned when you say that you feel like your bra is pressing. This may be chest pressure. In fact it is very likely chest pressure. And women can have atypical symptoms for heart attacks and heart ischemia (not enough blood to the heart muscle) compared to the more classical symptoms men can get.

I strongly advise you go in to the ER now. Leave work if you are still there.

In the ER they will get an EKG, a rhythm strip, and hook you up to continuous monitoring while they check your heart enzymes via blood tests.

If you can, take an aspirin right now on your way to the ER. But go now - don't delay.

Please let me know how you are doing after you have been evaluated.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 31 minutes later
I just saw your response. Thank you. I have called my doctor and I am headed out now to an ER/Urgent care facility to get checked. XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Good luck.

Detailed Answer:
Yes - I am glad you are going.