Suggest remedy for difficulty in breathing through the nose

Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 29 Aug 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello,

I'm having some troubles breathing from my nose. I do think I had my nose broken from getting it punched 10 years ago. I find it hard to get proper air when I breath from my nose. My left nostril feels worse then right. I went to see an ENT and he looked at my noise with a light and said its a deviated septum. He then said when do you want to book the surgey. The diagnosis took only 10 seconds and no other tests were done. He didn't check my adednoids which I mentioned to him that they might be oversized because my orthodontist said they looked like they were in the face x-Ray when I got my braces on years back. There were no other tests done, no camera down the nose. I'm just wondering if I should get a second opinion or should I just go through with the surgery with him? Is it that easy to diagnose? Is he ruleing out other things that might be an issue? Also I have a right collapsing nasal valve when I breath in hard. He said the deviated septum surgery will help or fix that as well.
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is so much easy to diagnose

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your query and image; and suggest you to have faith on your doctor.
For your kind information deviated nasal septum is so much easy to diagnose in experienced hand. It is the common cause of unilateral nasal obstruction but in the other hand adenoid enlargement causes the bilateral nasal obstruction most of the time.

If you want to rule out other causes and for your confirmation better to go for CT scan PNS and nasopharynx.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 13 hours later

Thank you for your reply. How about the collaping nasal valve I have. Will fixing the deviated ceptum cure the collapsing nasal valve. I've attached some pictures of me taking a breath in through my nose showing what happens to my nostrils. And what is a nasopharynx test? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to go for septorhinoplasty

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your query and images; and suggest you that better to go for the septorhinoplasty instead of alone septorhinoplasty.

For you kind information nasopharynx is the posterior part of the nose and examination of this area rule out the adenoids.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 9 hours later

Thanks for the reply. You said i should go for the septorhinoplasty instead of a septorhinoplasty? Those are the same thing. Can you give me some clarification on that? And what the difference between the 2 procedures are? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sorry for mistyped

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your follow up query; and first I want sorry for mistyped.

My correct sentence were
You go for septorhinoplasty instead of alone septoplasty.

For your kind information septorhinoplasty is an operation to improve your nose shape,structure and also making your septum straight but septoplasty improve your septum only but our concern also with your vestibule.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 11 hours later
The doctor said that fixing the deviated septum will fix my collapsing nasal valve do you agree?
Brief Answer:
Not Agree

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I am not in agreement with that fixing the deviated septum will fix Your collapsing nasal valve.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D